Friday, January 06, 2006

breastmilk ice cream

As I sit here with my wife I'm awash in glory. I have created a blog. To anyone out there that knows me this is anti-jon. Technology, I mean. The title is rather self explanatory but I'll share the background. I was just sitting here and we were looking at the ben and jerry's website and I wondered aloud if anyone had ever made breastmilk ice cream.
I really don't want a flood of recipes here. Just for posterity I want to give a big screw you to all the greenlighters out there who never told me about this blogging thing. I've wanted a forum for all my bellyaching for years. Keep your eyes open people this is going to be the most meaningful visit of your day!
The cookie man is done.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Hey Jon! I had wondered whether you'd be a blogger type. Ranting and musing can be quite cathartic. Enjoy your newfound freedom.

jul said...

If you go to le leche league or whatever it is, they have all kinds of recipes I think... Some crazy mothers out there have thought of many sick things to do, I even saw a recipe for cottage cheese, and I'm not joking. Giving mothers like me who stay at home a bad name, along with those who breastfeed their 8 year olds.

Anonymous said...

Sorry jul, breastmilk cottage cheese wouldn't work. Bovine milk contains two kinds of protein, casein and whey, that separate into the curds and whey (respectively) of cottage cheese. Human milk contains only whey protein, so no curds.

Why not ice cream, though? My son will be of spoon-handling age (7 months -- relax!) when the long, hot summer sets in this year.

mystic_eye_cda said...

Human milk is about 20-30% casein and 70-80% whey; cow's milk is 40% casein and 60% whey so you would get fewer curds, not none. In later lactation breastmilk may contain up to 50% casein

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp
Actually, a 70/30 whey/casein ratio is more typical of human milk, and the whey content of some human milk can be as high as 80 percent.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119986807/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
The concentration of whey proteins decreases from early lactation and continues to fall. These changes result in a whey protein/casein ratio of about 90: 10 in early lactation, 60: 40 in mature milk and 50: 50 in late lactation. These observations indicate that the synthesis and/or secretion of caseins and whey proteins is regulated by different mechanisms. In addition, the relative proportion of the different β- and k-casein subunits was found to vary throughout lactation.

http://animsci.agrenv.mcgill.ca/courses/460/topics/2/text.pdf
while the casein:whey ratio is ~82:18 in cow’s milk and 30:70 in human
milk.