Friday, January 16, 2009

New year, same oljonnyhurd

Well, we're down to three people at work now. In case you didn't know I'm a family service professional at a cemetery,(yes it's a real job)and through a series of resignations and firings we are down to a sales staff of three. Which is exactly where we were at when I started. Seven other people have now come and gone in one calendar year. Amazing. It's really all due to everyone hating either the ugly side of the job(sales) or our stubborn, crotchety and downright mean sales manager. Yet she remains employed. Hmmmm....
We are now refinancing our home and hope to save at least 100 bucks a month on our mortgage. Woohoo! Here's to the economy being so bad it sometimes benefits you. Our car just got paid off and now we have cash free to reinstall cable. Down here you have to either get cable or a converter box because TV is going digital.
Can someone tell me why a Big Mac costs $2.99 but a double cheeseburger only costs $1.19 when the only difference is lettuce and an extra piece of bread? I'm paying for novelty aren't I? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
My family is split over two countries and none of us is really even that near each other. My parents have to drive 2 and 1/2 hours just to see my sister while my brother is a day from me. And by day I mean 24 hours. It kind of sucks cause all your vacation time is spent either traveling or visiting. But we push on.
It was -9 F here this morning. A five year low. My mustache froze. Our neighbor was sweet enough to snow blow our walk and driveway cause he loves using it. (the blower not our driveway)
Emma continues to be the prettiest, smartest kid in our house. She got a few new videos for Christmas and watches them ad nauseum. But I've taught her to ask for Scrubs or Diners, Drive-ins and Dives as well.("I'm no Superman")
I created a new dessert on a friend's suggestion. Nutter Butter Cheesecake is a hit! The cookie business remains underwhelming. The spirit is willing but demand is weak.
Skyline chili tonight, or maybe dinner out with our friends the Loscherts. Laurie owes me a steak.
I've removed myself from all positions of leadership in the church because every time I get involved, something happens that I can't stomach. And believe it or not, the best way to overcome a problem is not be part of the solution. That only works if you are taken seriously as a leader in the first place. Which I clearly am not. I've attempted to share a bunch of ideas with different staff members and influential congregants only to be ignored or told to wait. Either way, I'm through trying to help a group of people who clearly don't want my brand of assistance. I still hold to the slimmest of hopes that God will put my fertile brain and bold spirit to good use somewhere but the ball's in his court now.
A quick farewell to AJ's blog. I hope his time management becomes more effective and he can return. His insightfulness will be missed.
And finally, an undoubtedly innappropriate shout-out to all the ladies out there who use the word "panties" to describe their unmentionables. I don't know why but it's so much sexier than "underwear". (I guess it's cause guys wear underwear.)

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Oh Jon...How I've missed reading your blog and laughing my guts out. I myself am a non-blogging slacker. I can't seem to get going again. Maybe because I am doing so much school work I don't have time to think just for fun. I am a great example of how education numbs your mind and makes you socially stunted. I just can't get creative or funny anymore. I need some inspiration! Maybe if I keep reading your blog, I'll get some sassy back.

Anonymous said...

I always like reading your blog. Keeper going!

Robin said...

I love the "same oljonnyhurd".