Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Fun Ahoy!

Well this is my favorite time of year. No kidding. I've always loved fall and autumness and all things from October through January 1st. It starts on the 3rd with my parents' anniversary.(thirty seven years)My mom's birthday on the eighth.(fifty six)Canadian Thanksgiving.(which I no longer remember)Halloween.(which was void of candy this year as our church did a reverse trick or treat)Next comes the Cypress Craft Bazaar.(94 dozen cookies sold this year at a cool $780)My birthday(the seventeenth)American Thanksgiving.(Dinner with the Suttons and football, football, football)Emma's 1st birthday.(Laurie is inviting all the other kids born within a couple months of each other in our circle of friends for a party with a tarp, some cake and a bunch of naked babies)And finally Christmas and New Year's round out the festivities.(we no longer give gifts, just charitable contributions)

Topic #4 Would Jesus have a beer with the guys?

I can only guess what is going through the heads of first time readers. No I'm not a drinker and no I'm not against alcohol for Christians. This is really just a forum for discussion. I have been quoted verse after verse, rule after rule and reason after reason as to the questionability of Christians imbibing alcohol and I've got to tell you, I can't find it anywhere. It's like gambling. We(the church) find these behaviors we don't agree with and we stretch to find biblical support to back it up. I'm not for freedom in all things and I'm not a grace monger. We have a responsibility to behave in a self controlled way, but that applies to so much more than what we put in our bodies. If people cared as much about raising their kids right as who does what in their homes, we'd not have the crisis of morality we're facing right now. My guess is that Jesus would go first, were he to come back, to the places we'd least expect him to. Including the local bar.

3 comments:

Robin said...

That would seem to be the modern equivalent of hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors, so I can't argue with you there.

Shawna said...

I agree with you as well. I don't really think having a beer is the same as gambling though. Somebody can have a beer and not want to get drunk, but it's a little bit harder to buy a lotto ticket and not be greedy. Jesus would probably hang out at the bar, but can't really see him buying a scratch & win.

oljonnyhurd said...

Shawna, tell me how wasting money on gambling is any different than eating out three times a week. They both provide enjoyment and they both can be wasteful and addictive. Please tell me how the act of gambling is biblically sinful. I bet you can't.