Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Something for everyone

Here's an interesting tidbit. They must have grown people smaller back in the seventies because I can't fit into the little space they have for the urinals in the old part of our church. I'm serious, there must be like two feet max in between the metal partitions separating the two urinals. I feel like I'm an NFL lineman every time I go to take a pee. I don't know if anyone else has experienced explosive diarrhea in their lifetime but when you do sometimes you can, through no fault of your own, cause errant turd to get on areas of your toilet you would never expect to find poo. This is disturbing because you can go a few days without discovering it. Then you're embarrassed for some reason like you could have possibly prevented it.

Topic #5 Why is sin so enjoyable?

I only ask on my own behalf. I may get ten responses telling me that sin is not enjoyable at all. But in my experience, part of the reason I do not readily give up sin is that it affords me pleasure of some kind. Physical, emotional or mental. I get a high from doing the wrong thing. I wish I hated my sin more. Ive heard and read that once you genuinely hate sin and what it does to you and keeps you from becoming, that is when your relationship with God moves to a whole new level of commitment and enthusiasm.
How can I muster that hatred? It makes sense in my head that when I lie it is affecting those around me and yet.... It occurs to me that when I view inappropriate content that it is likely someone's future wife or at least someone's daughter that is being objectified in a terrible way. I have a little girl now! And yet that only gives me a moment's pause when I make the choice to sin or not. When I choose some random crap I don't even like on TV over spending quality time with my savior, I take selfishness to a whole new level. And yet it is still more pleasing to me than doing the right thing. So again I ask, why - in my brain - does it feel so good to be so bad? Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Either I'll recognize sin for what it is or spend the rest of my life facing the consequences. Pleasurable or not, sin will take me one place and it stands opposed to everything my God holds dear. I can say "Yeah but it's hard to not _____" for so many things. The walk is hard brother. Christian morality ain't for sissies.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Oh how I've missed your blog Jon Hurd. I've been too busy to read or to write, but now since exams are over I am free.

I think anyone who says that sin isn't fun is lying. It is. However, the hatred comes when you see what you have become and what it has done to you. For me it is how it makes me feel. I feel guilty about everything that I do wrong. I don't know how people do things and don't feel guilty. Maybe I have a rump that is extra sensitive to the Holy Spirit's swift kick. I hate that feeling, and so I just do whatever I need to in order to not feel it. Who says guilt isn't a good motivator!