Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sorry, there's just something in my eye....

This will be my eighth consecutive Christmas without seeing members of the Hurd family on or around the actual day. Christmas at my house was always magical. Oh sure we always had to get up early to the sound of Mom swearing at us about doing our part to get things ready. And yes sometimes there were unavoidable catastrophes like Dad breaking the built in counter top cutting board with a rutabaga.(Which in Canada is called a turnip)And inevitably I would always eat too much and get a stomachache and spend the evening lying on the couch wishing for a quick death.
But the holidays are awash with memory for me, real or imagined I don't know. I remember waking at 3am one Christmas and amusing myself with the contents of my overstuffed stocking.(Which had been placed there only a couple hours earlier) I remember unwrapping my biggest gift under the tree on Christmas Eve and being disappointed that it was a winter coat. I remember my first taste of eggnog as Dad and I sat there in our pajamas. I remember filling four trash bags with paper after unwrapping an embarrassing number of gifts. I remember Christmas Eves with a different number of guests each year, depending on who was in town. I remember watering the tree and picking needles off the back of my shirt for hours. I remember the year we got a VCR and a new TV and watching every new station like we had never seen anything so beautiful. My favorite churchy part of Christmas was the Candlelight Carol Sing on the last Sunday before Christmas. We never went to Christmas Eve services so this was the goosebumpy focus on Jesus time for me. It was always so peaceful, loving and moving. I love Christmas Music too. It just seems like better music was written around this holiday than any other. My all-time favorites? O holy night and the little drummer boy. Take a moment this season and think about what you want your kid to be writing about in the years to come. I know I wouldn't trade my Christmas memories for anything. Well, maybe season tickets to the Blue Jackets.

10 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

I loved hearing your memories!

Kelly said...

My favorite Christmas memory- Once I got a little older, Every Christmas, my entire family would get up ridiculously early, like- 6am, and wait very impatiently at the bottom of the stairs to my room, making lots of noise, until I was too annoyed to stay in bed any longer.

theajthomas said...

My favorite memory I having a massive breakfast with eggs and sausage and hash browns. Of course that was just last year but I have declared it a tradtition. To be honest christmas isn't big deal to me but breakfast...that's a whole other story!

Kelly said...

Mmmmmm....breakfast. :)

oljonnyhurd said...

Remember Promise Keepers Breakfasts in the dorm? Getting bacon and eggs from Greg, that prince of a man. Toasting up bread or english muffins. Frying up hashbrowns. I'm drooling right now. And usually the lunch that day would be chicken nuggets. Makes me misty just thinking about it.

theajthomas said...

Ahhh yes, I certianly do. So many good memories around breakfast. I have always hated mornings and I think God put breakfast in the morning to give us a reason to be awake at that hour of the day. that being said there is no time of day or night when breakfast isn't a good option whether it's bacon and eggs for lunch or a late night omlett. Delicious

Anonymous said...

I love and miss you Jonathan. Wish you were closer to visit over the hoildays. Maybe someday you'll move closer. It could happen, right???? I can remember Christmas parties at your house. I think it was a christmas party that I spit cookie pieces your operation game. I loved family partied at the Hurds house. Have a great Christmas.

Nancy Robocop (it was probably at one of those partied that you gave me that name and we beat each other to a pulp.)

Anonymous said...

What I loved? Our stocking - I loved falling asleep to the sound of the rustling plastic bags as mom got out the stuff to put in it, and the heavy thud later on as she set it by our doors.
What I want my boys to remember? The traditions and the Reason for it all. They don't have to necessarily do them themselves, but remember what we did as a family and why.

Your li'l sis (julie)

Anonymous said...

ps. Merry Christmas, Nathanoj. I miss you and haven't talked to you for a while. You should call us or something... : )

Julie

Anonymous said...

this give me a lump in my throat.

~ some anonymous old geezer