Sunday, June 22, 2008

Almost Compelling Storytelling

I care about stupid stuff sometimes. And what I mean by that is I care about stuff that doesn't really matter a little more than it deserves. Entertainment Weekly just released its 1000th issue and it ranks the top 100 "new classics" in a bunch of categories. In the TV category it didn't rank "Cheers" as one of the best shows on TV in the last 25 years. Now I don't know why, but it's very important to me to write to them and tell them they're wrong. I even got angry at a couple of the shows they ranked in the top 100. (Of course who wouldn't be pissed at seeing "Friday Night Lights" on anybodies favorites list.) It makes me wonder what the standard could possibly have been.
Laurie and I had a fight last night and it was over the same thing we always fight about: money, and the way it is spent. We actually have more disposable income than we realize, it's just that I spend it in 5 dollar increments 15 times a month and Laurie spends it in larger increments once every 3 months. Basically tuna subs vs. gym memberships. Anyway we had a stern disagreement last night and I walked out of the room with a "I'll see you in the morning", intending to sleep on the couch. Well, Laurie didn't know this, so my angry exit sounded like a polite farewell. I guess I need to learn to communicate my huffiness better. I told her this in the morning and she had a good laugh.
I'm at the stage of parenthood where it's OK for me to take care of other people's kids when we're all together. If they want to go off with my kid or they want to hang with me then it's quite all right with the other parents in the neighborhood. It's amazing, the honor bequeathed with siring a child.
I find it strange that as a future possible job would take us out of state we are connecting with more of our neighbors. As I said this has a lot to do with having a child.
I've been pondering life with constant back pain and the outlook isn't good. I'm no stranger to injuries and this is just one more to add to the list but all my others don't have the possibility for long term debilitation. I guess it's not going to be heart disease that has me thinking about weight loss for my health.
We head to Virginia in 5 days and I can't wait. First time on vacation in 11 months. Laurie's parents are especially willing to give us time to ourselves as it gives them more time with their only grandchild.
I'm now up to 21 mixes and it would be more if not for the limitations of our laptop. I can't download songs that require itunes plus. Bummer.
Positives: a thousand dollar bonus if I can make it through July, softball tonight, four free condoms.
Negatives: the return of the boss, Emma pinching my wiener, sandal footprints on a clean floor.

2 comments:

Jo said...

What shows were you angry about? I think Cheers is okay...

I certainly hope that LOST didn't win the number 1 slot. Yuck.

I'm curious as to what "out of state" state you are talking about, so if it comes to pass I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

Jo said...

p.s. Happy Interviewing.