Thursday, October 18, 2007

I fought the law and we both lost

Topic #2
Why isn't there more justice on earth?

I just got done with a temporary job at which I marked student proficiency exams. During the course of time I came to realize there were certain people who did not deserve to be there. They fell asleep at their desks, they got up and wasted time, they called over supervisors to answer their questions for them. Nothing was done by the bosses. Nothing. I complained about this to my wife at home and she told me it's the same everywhere and to just get used to it and over it. Knowing this as I do, from being more than 10 years old, I wondered what kind of glory it could bring to God to see so much injustice in the world.
My story is a very mild form of annoyance granted. But what about wrongful convictions. Unpaid child support. Mandatory minimums and ridiculous sentencing guidelines. Abuse, murder, corruption. It dizzies the mind. The bible says the Lord will have his justice. In fact it is his alone to mete out. But what is he waiting for? Is his justice so radically different from what I think it is? Would I recognize it if I saw it? Tough questions but it would seem I have to rely on the other things I understand about God to help me deal with this riddle in his nature. I must trust his heart when I cannot see his hand.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Good word. Oh, and I'm enjoying a tuna melt as I write this. Thought that was appropriate given that this is your blog.

oljonnyhurd said...

So appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to go back to your "More then I Deserve" blog from a few weeks ago to help you.

oljonnyhurd said...

To anonymous:
The two have nothing to do with one another. You think my desire for justice has to do with being ungrateful?

Maria Purviance said...

i think it does..haha..just kidding.

Shawna said...

Justice is something that is important to me too. I can't stand seeing the weak being taken advantage of by the powerful. Jesus couldn't either. But he is leaving the weeds and the wheat together until his time of judgement. I always have to remember that God says that vengeance is his and he will repay. Doesn't make it easier though - something you know with your brain but you still can't stand it.