Monday, October 15, 2007

Jesus farted and other uncomfortable spiritual truths

I think I want to start a series. I want to examine some of the commonly held beliefs we have that are incorrect. I want to shed light on the darker side of Christianity. In short, I want to blow up your perceptions and conception of God. If we discover things about ourselves along the way, all the better.
Today's topic: How do we serve God at less than our best?

I have had a cold for 2 weeks. My wife is on her second cold in 3 weeks. Our precious daughter has yet to shake the cold she caught at daycare three weeks ago. We are sleep deprived, irritable, symptomatic and generally not in good spirits. I pulled a muscle coughing and I can't comfortably breath right now. That being said, life is not slowing down. It would seem that God wants to see how we handle life when we are fighting our earthly bodies and attitudes. I do not consider myself Job but haven't we all had Job moments? Consider Abraham or Joseph. And isn't it fair to say God still tests the resolve and faith of his followers? It would seem there is a certain amount of "sucking it up" that needs to take place in life. I like to think that it all means something. It would feel better. But what if suffering just happens, and we need to fight through it? What if you never got to see the purpose for your suffering in this lifetime? What if our salvation is the only blessing we have to hold on to? Is it enough?

2 comments:

Robin said...

Yeah I hear you. I have lots of suck it up moments.

theajthomas said...

Sometimes I suck at sports.