Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Gezundheit!

I suck at basketball. I love to play it and I enjoy learning things about it, but when it comes to putting the knowledge into action I'm terrible at it. I have a hard time making even open layups. I think I get too excited to have the shot and just blow it. That and I have the technique of a four year old and the grace and coordination of a baby rhino. But boy, can I box out.
Happiness is watching a great TV show with a full belly and all of your girls asleep. Emma's in her crib, Laurie and Butter are on the bed next to me and Peanut is on her dog pillow. Our DVD player went after 7 years and we got a new one. 28 bucks! I got two. The great thing is I'm realizing that our old DVD player sucked and all the DVD's that wouldn't play before are now working perfectly.
The sandwich is the best food on earth. I stand by that statement and invite a healthy debate on the subject. I own a few food documentaries and one of them focuses on singing the praises of the sandwich. For the record, I consider anything between bread to be a sandwich. Peter Beckwith used to put mashed potatoes between slices of white bread. Odd, but a sandwich none the less. My Friends: take this opportunity to think on the humble sandwich and report back on your likes and dislikes.
Topic #6
How do we love God more?
I had a thought last week. I was watching an Andy Stanley video series called "Pause". It's on temptation and I was left pondering my own struggle with sin. My contention was that I don't hate sin enough. It was realized after much debate that the actual issue was that I need to love God more. This being a seminal moment for me, I also had the opportunity to have a conversation with a friend who stoked an old idea of mine from a flicker to a flame. Hopefully an inferno will result. I've got till the end of March to try and raise $2ooo for a steam table and meat to fill the most immediate needs of a local shelter. How do we love God more? Well, obey his commandments and love other people. The rest is just crap.

5 comments:

theajthomas said...

Ahh the sandwich - she is a thing of beauty. Whether the sweet and tangy zip of Jam and Cheezewiz, the breakfast bounty of an egg McMuffin, the gastronomical explosion of a fully loaded sub, or the simple beauty of a ham and cheese. Sandwiches truly are the king of all foods. Long live the earl of Sandwich!!!

Unknown said...

I love a good bagel sandwich. A few good ones would include:

Bagel - butter/marg, Toffuti plain cream cheese, strawberry freezer jam = YUM!
Bagel - butter/marg, 'fried' egg, tomato, avocado, maybe some cheese..or not = YUM!

Also, one can not oversell a pannini press - they make a mean 'any kind' of sandwich! Throw anything between some bread and smash it in a pannini press and viola - deeee-lisch!

Anonymous said...

o.k... can you really beat fluff and peanut butter- it has to be organic peanut butter though- the kind with no sugar, just the smashed peanuts in all their smooth and creamy goodness. Pair it with totally fake sugar/plastic (o.k.a fluff) and it's a match made in heaven.
Heidi

Unknown said...

How did I forget about the croissant sandwich??? It's DA BEST!

Anonymous said...

OK, sandwiches are good, BUT NO WHITE BREAD ... NO JAM ... lettuce is almost mandatory, onions are de rigeur ...

obey His commands and love others ... good stuff! ... BUT "the rest is crap" ... this kind of harsh attitude turns people off, and makes it much harder to reach them ...

~ some anonymous old geezer