Saturday, April 05, 2008

Don't patronize me

Funny isn't it? Patronage is a good thing, but patronizing is bad.
I like words: How they sound, and sometimes perfectly represent what they are.
Laurie likes the word llama cause it's a double L. And effervescent. She hates ornery, facetious and phenomenal. I like sizzle, drummer and jerk. I hate tool, awesome and the phrase "hedge of protection".
Brilliant is underused. I met a guy from Ireland last night and he described the parents of his girlfriend as "brilliant". Funny, eh? I like fifties words like neat and swell and keen and golly gee whiz.
Fart is a fun word. It's playfully crass. Like crap. No one says crap better than my friend Jon. It's always preceded by the word "Awww".
The written word is better than the spoken word, I believe. I appreciate it more when I see words put together in a pleasant or smart way. I can appreciate fine oratory but I bow to good writing. I aspire to it. I respect when someone chooses their words carefully to more accurately and descriptively convey what they've experienced. It makes me want to become a student of language.
I never remember all my favorite words when I want to so the time has come to defer to you, the reader and let you opine on your favorite words or phrases. Hopefully I'll remember mine someday soon.

6 comments:

Robin said...

I like "splendid". Also "plush".

Unknown said...

I like;

parched
"shall I?"
whatever (that's a classic)

theajthomas said...

Exquisite
Ubiquitous
Stellar
Indefatigable
Fluffy

Elizabeth said...

I like:
Plethora
Magnificent
Infallible
Impeccable
Affable
Stymied

I dislike:
Moist

Robin said...

I LIKE "moist"!

Shawna said...

crackpot
nincompoop (this one really makes me laugh)
maniacal