Friday, August 24, 2007

50 is the new 30!

This happens to be my fiftieth post. Of this I am proud considering a year ago I thought this blog extinct. Speaking of things that are extinct..... what is up with Shannon and the woman?
I hate conventional church. I hate the way it is packaged, presented and performed. Whatever happened to creativity? Or spontaneity? I feel like I need to burn the place to the ground and start over.
You can help me. (Not burn down the church, I wasn't really going to do that) Let me know what church would look like for you.
Less formal, more music, no music, less talk, no offering asked for, more teaching?
Humor, drama, instrumental, food, intimate, more dangerous, confession, communion, practical?
Challenging, beautiful, somber, interactive, media-oriented, choir, short, long, old, new, fun, active?
I could go on but I want to be surprised. Seriously, hit me.

2 comments:

theajthomas said...

Less dutiful. Not a come do your duty and then et on with life. Not neccesarily a longer service just less rush to get in and out.

Shawna said...

OOHHH JOHHHNNN. I have been going through a church crisis in the last couple of weeks. Almost blogged about it but I couldn't even get it on paper. You know there's hardly any good material written on the nature of the church? It's all church growth, how to get them in the door and how to keep them there. Essentially promoting a consumerist Christianity. Give em' what they want and they'll come back. Good music, good sermon, a feel good time. Since when did Jesus worry about making people feel good?