Monday, August 27, 2007

Feeling upbraided and rightfully so

Me
In my last blog I sat complaining about what's wrong with church. I'm not backing down from that sentiment and I still want to hear from you about that but I was sitting in church Saturday night and was reminded that there are more important things than my personal feelings about how things are run. I want to share with you the outline of Dave's sermon without permission.
Dave
Why I believe In and Belong to the Church
1. Only the church helps me deal in both worlds- Time and Reality
The church helps me understand the word of God
The church helps me hear and listen to the Spirit of God
The church helps me be like the Son of God

2. The church is a moral compass in a world of moral chaos.
We are called to be salt in a bland world and light in a dark world. The church needs to step up and make a difference now like it did before. Slavery, women's rights, child labor, poverty, hospitals, schools, orphanages, mental institutions, prisons, YMCA, hospitals.

3. The church is a community of grace and healing in a world of hurt
Do you want people like that in your church?

4. The church reveals the dignity of every human being (1 Peter 2:9)

5. Christ believes in the church and I believe in Christ. (Matthew 16:18)

Me
Church, in my opinion, is in need of an overhaul. Church can be boring, it can misfire and it can be lame. But church my friends, is not the church. The church is who we are to be and we should reflect and represent our head, our leader, our brother in arms, Christ Jesus our Lord.

5 comments:

Maria Purviance said...

i have to say, right now, i have a hate for church. I go to church every week..but i don't like church. i would like to see a church that is open all weekend...where you can go anytime you want, and stay for as long as you want. in this church, i would like for there to be areas you can go to..depending on how you feel like worshiping..or how you think God is going to work through you. so you could go to worship, or go read, or go pray, or go and listen to a study going on....and there could be set times for everyone to get together..but you don't have to come to those. i just am so tired of church. and i don't learn very well from just sitting for an hour listening to someone talk. i really wish church was different..or that i would start to like it.

Robin said...

Good thought, Hurd, from you and the Dave. To me, there's too much focus on what happens on Sunday and not enough on actually BEING the Church all the time.

Shawna said...

I totally agree with Robin. Glad more and more of us are feeling this way. Discontented and yet at the same time strongly committed. Change comes from the inside out.

theajthomas said...

Change comes from church planting =)

Melinda said...

just so you know...I'm on vacation so I might not be "on top of things" like you would prefer..I thought you might like to know *smile*